About Me

My photo
Phenix City, Alabama, United States
I have been called by God to serve Him through ministry to the orphan children of Africa! I have just started this journey! My prayer is that God will grant me wings so that I may swiftly arrive on the field! Please pray for his guiding!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Cornhusker Country...

Well, today we were in "God's" country. That would be Nebraska! My Dad was born and raised there and the majority of my family on that side are still there. We went to my Aunt and Uncle's in Minden, Nebraska. They called other Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Spouses, Children and other various individuals to join us there for a little get together and supper tonight. To my horror and surprise...they all thought my Dad ("Uncle Bill" - my Dad's name is Don...but that is another story) was along with us, so that was awkward. My Dad is the "life of the party". A very lovable and boisterous person that everyone has fun with and every kid loves, so I there were several very disappointed people there. But we still managed to have a great time.

Three years ago, my Aunt and Uncle (who are corn/cattle farmers) lost their 2 sons, both under 50, within about a year of each other. The pain is still thick on their faces. It was such a tragedy, especially to a farming family where my Uncle Richard worked the farm with his sons. One of those sons would have become a Grandpa himself and I got to get reacquainted with his children, their new spouses and new babies. Now my cousin's sons are working the land. Life goes on...another whole new generation of Malcom's. Brad and Cliff's death had a great impact on my family. There are few family things that don't have great turnouts now. I only wish my Dad could have been there.

I love farming and everything associated with it. Believe it or not...I would have LOVED to have been a farmer's wife. One thing you may not know about me and would probably find hard to believe is that I can drive a Tractor, a Combine AND a Grain Truck!!!

2 comments:

La Profesora said...

it sounds beautiful out there. hopefully you all can bring a little joy to these relatives. why didn't your dad go too? that's awesome that you can drive the farm machinary!

Sage said...

I used to drive the tractor... that was always fun...