About Me

My photo
Phenix City, Alabama, United States
I have been called by God to serve Him through ministry to the orphan children of Africa! I have just started this journey! My prayer is that God will grant me wings so that I may swiftly arrive on the field! Please pray for his guiding!

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Misunderstood

Do you ever feel misunderstood? I feel misunderstood at work. I had my semi-annual review today and it was frustrating, to say the least. It wasn't overly negative or anything. I have been dealing with "perceptions" in my office. Let me try to explain. The woman I report to does not work with me closely on any projects on a day to day basis. Our "team", to use the word lightly, at work is pretty negative and gossipy. Apparently several of them have been complaining to my boss about things I have done or not done. Of course, no one talks about all the positive things you have done or any contributions you are making. They go in to whine and complain about the negative things. So even if they are few and far between, the "perception" becomes that you are doing something wrong.

So today, for 2 hours, I had to listen to a fairly negative review of the things I was doing wrong. There were very few mentions of anything that I am doing right. Of course, I asked for specific examples, and they either can't be provided or they are vague and absolutely incorrect. It is obvious to see that the information was delivered in a gossipy complaining manner and that facts were either excluded or grossly exaggerated. It was interesting that I was told I don't communicate. I did ask if the expectation was that the communication would be reciprocated as not one of the people whom I "offended" had approached me and discussed anything with me.

After the 2 hour negative-fest, my boss said she hoped I wasn't discouraged. I said I didn't feel discouraged, I felt misunderstood. There are many situations that are "Catch 22"....you fail if you do and you fail if you don't. I have worked here for a year and a half, and I just don't feel like I am getting anywhere. As long as my boss is willing to listen to others negative opinions and complaints with no expectation for those who are doing the complaining to speak to me directly at the time it happens, I don't know how I can correct it.

I spent some time talking to the Lord about it. What I did come to realize is that I have to own up to every part of those negative comments that belong to me. There was some truth in a lot of them. I have been discouraged at my job. It has become something I endure until 5:00 pm every day, and I am sure that is evident in the work I produce. Pastor Carnes challenged us tonight to not allow our children to be quitters and to not set the bad example of being a quitter. Yes, I am misunderstood. My intentions are misunderstood. My motives are misunderstood. I can feel sorry for myself or I can own the truth in it that belongs to me and move forward, seeking to please Christ, and not man, even in my job as an auditor. I will strive to respect my authority at work and submit to what they want from me. I will play the "game" within the confines of Christianity. I can set a good example to those that are gossiping and back-stabbing, not only by not participating, but by not condoning it through silence.

I want to be a testimony to those I work with. Perceptions, as irritating as they are, do matter.

3 comments:

Anna said...

Julie,

I am sorry about your situation. I will keep in my prayers.

Here,in the little Jewell County Courthouse, where there are bunch of women, gossiping is prevalent.

Fortunately or unfortunately, it isn't usually about work, but more often personal attacks.

Sometimes when I become concious that I am participating in this, I suddenly become aware of what I am doing, and make an effort to stop it.

But, as with human nature, one all too easily forgets that committment and before you know it you are gossiping again or saying something negative about a co-worker.

I try, when I think about it, to only say something nice, like complimenting someone on something they are wearing.

Love Anna

P.S. I have downloaded Mozilla's Firefox browser and it's so neat! I have 'Live Bookmarked' your blogspot and it will tell me when you have posted a new blog, so I won't have to keep checking your blogspot, oh the wonderful world of technology!

Julie Alexander said...

Yeah...Becca. I can tell you were thrilled!

La Profesora said...

julie-this was very transparent of you to post for us. and many many people working in the public workplace can identify. this could have read as from my husband several years back in a similar situation he went through.
i like your attitude in the last paragraph - of owning up to any truths in the review, few as they really may be, and trying to work on the perception others have of you. i realize this is difficult.
Also remember, delight thyself also in the Lord and He will give thee the desires of thine heart. I know you would love to do something you viewed as more meaningful. He will show you, and hopefully in the not too distant future.
praying for you, sister.