About Me

My photo
Phenix City, Alabama, United States
I have been called by God to serve Him through ministry to the orphan children of Africa! I have just started this journey! My prayer is that God will grant me wings so that I may swiftly arrive on the field! Please pray for his guiding!

Monday, June 26, 2006

Don't Be a Jacob...

We had a wonderful Sunday at Grace this weekend. Not that every Sunday there isn't wonderful. But with the 60th Anniversary celebration...all the remembrances and recognitions, awesome choir music and fanstastic preaching, it was all very overwhelming. I have also been studying the life of Jacob and I have been learning some very interesting things about myself.

I am a Jacob. No I haven't stolen anyone's blessing. But Jacob was a schemer. Jacob had visions from God, he wrestled with God and prevailed, and was assured time and time again of God's desire to bless him, protect him and provide for him, and yet, Jacob continued to scheme. In Genesis 31, God changed Jacob's name to Isreal. But throughout the book of Genesis, he is still referred to as Jacob. Israel means "one who fights victoriously with God" or "prince of God". Jacob was not referred to as Israel very often for one simple reason...he did not live up to his new name.

This reminds me of the children's song.."I sing a new song, since Jesus came, serve a new master, WEAR A NEW NAME...." As an adopted child of God, I wear a new name. But I wonder if I live up to it.

I am a schemer. I always have plan A, B, and C in my pocket just in case. I tend to develop plans and expectations and then pray as though I am seeking God's stamp of approval on my plans as opposed to being still and quiet long enough for God to reveal his plans to me. What Jacob found, and what I have found, it that God already has everything worked out. Normally in ways we can never imagine. That the time, effort, worry and lost sleep that we put into it are so FUTILE. The same God that wanted to supply the power and provision to Jacob wants to do the same for me.

I want to live up to my new name. Pray for me.

1 comment:

La Profesora said...

we are so humbled and privileged to wear that new name. thank goodness He has a plan! " . . . without Him, how lost I would be."