About Me

My photo
Phenix City, Alabama, United States
I have been called by God to serve Him through ministry to the orphan children of Africa! I have just started this journey! My prayer is that God will grant me wings so that I may swiftly arrive on the field! Please pray for his guiding!

Sunday, March 19, 2006

I'm Still Amazed!

I am so full after church this morning. We had the most wonderful Sunday School class, the music was very moving this morning, the preaching excellent and I am just looking forward to our Sword Conference over the next couple of days. Danielle and I have implemented our "no TV" rule for the week. We have always made it a family practice during the week of any special preaching at church, we keep the tube off and try to keep those kind of distractions to a minimum. Not trying to sound self-righteous by telling you that...but I challenge you to give it a try. It is amazing how much you DON'T even miss it. Danielle and I spend more time talking about the messages and how God has spoken to us.

In Sunday School, Mrs. Shelton Smith (I think her name is Betty) was our guest speaker and she challenged us with the 7 greatest pitfalls of Christianity. They are:
1. Authority - Hebrews 13:17 (someone is in charge and it's not me!)
2. Truth - Ephesians 4:25
3. Pride - Prov 16:18, 29:23, 13:10, Psalm 138:6 (insecurity and being easily offended are on this list!)
4. Lust - 1 John 2:16 (unbridled appetite)
5. Peers - Prov 13:20 (even adults have to watch this one)
6. Culture (tempting to give in)
7. Faithfulness - 1 Corinthians 15:58, James 5:11

How do we overcome these?
Bible
Prayer
Giving
Strong Preaching
practicing self-discipline (OUCH!)
Good friends
Mentors
Accountability (to someone)
Steadfastness
Compassion/Kindness
Good Music/Books

As Christians, we never truly arrive. It is a life-long battle with our "striped nature" (Romans 7:15,22-25). We all have struggles. We are all awaiting the redemption from the flesh (Romans 8:18-25). Until we are freed from this body of sin...we must all continue to fight against the things listed above. Praise God he is long suffering and full of mercy towards His children...amongst which I am so blessed to count myself.

I'm amazed to know, how far God would go...to set a lost soul free! I'm amazed at the thought that he paid the cost...for a poor sinner like me. Oh, yes...I'm still AMAZED!

2 comments:

Ajoy Philip Babu said...

its really difficult to stop watching TV coz it can take up so much time.

Sage said...

Can't argue with that...