About Me

My photo
Phenix City, Alabama, United States
I have been called by God to serve Him through ministry to the orphan children of Africa! I have just started this journey! My prayer is that God will grant me wings so that I may swiftly arrive on the field! Please pray for his guiding!

Friday, August 04, 2006

God Sings...

"The Lord thy God in the midst of thee IS mighty; He will save, He will rejoice over thee with joy; He will rest in his love, He will joy over thee with singing" Zephaniah 3:20

This is a truth I was aware of, but hadn't thought about in some time....God sings. What do you suppose it will be like to hear God sing? I'm sure nothing within our limited understanding could possibly imagine it.

We are created in the image of God, and we are musical creatures because God is musical. Have you ever noticed how even the smallest toddler will start bouncing if any tune with some sort of beat starts playing! It is something in our nature. Music is so powerful! It can conjure the deepest emotions...those that are edifying and those that are destructive. It can affect your thinking, your moods, your attitudes. One has to be careful where music is concerned.

Personally, I believe "Christian Rock" or "Christian Rap" is an oxymoron. I don't think those can coincide. Any music that glorifies the rhythm, the beat, the instrumentation or the artist for that matter, over the message it is sending doesn't qualify as Christian anything. I have often heard it argued that if we can draw people in and win people to Christ by using this worldly music, it is worth it. I don't think this is so. It's not to say that no one ever got saved at a "Christian" Rock concert, but the Bible doesn't condone doing what is "wrong" to get something that is "right".

I enjoy Southern Gospel and some contemporary Christian music; however, I enjoy them outside of a church service. My preference is for the more traditional hymns in church (note I said preference...so don't get too bent out of shape). I do know that the Bible says that we are to be "Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord." The primary focus of our music, whether it is music we sing or the music we fill our minds with should be glorifying to God...and it should be melodic.

Danielle and I listened to some beautiful Southern Gospel music at a concert last night. I went feeling a little down and tired (we even thought about NOT going), but just the opposite was true by the time we were out of there. It was such a blessing. Many of the songs were about going home to heaven to be with our Lord, others about Christ's sacrifice for our sins. I was just thinking of the power of that music when I came across this verse on my calendar today.

Just take some time and think about the music you listen to. Music is NOT amoral. It does impact you and your relationship with Christ. We should make sure that, like in all areas of life, we are maintaining a healthy balance as far as our music goes and that what we put into our mind is edifying and glorifying to God.

5 comments:

CP said...

Hey,you probably dont know me personally but i go to GCS and am a member of GBC. Anyways, I understand completely what you are saying. Ive been thinking about this subject alot lately. One of the reasons I like GBC is its music, its hard to describe why but I just do. :)

Sage said...

I'm with rw on that one. The one illustration that keeps popping into my mind when I hear that people are playing ccm in churches is this: There's a time and place for everthing (even though it sounds silly, I'm being serious)... you don't eat a ham sandwich while the preacher is preaching, because it isn't the right time and place to do it. Lata anger mentor. (btw... Satan no longer has that stronghold of my temper in my life, w00t!)

lucky bear said...

As a person who does sing and play ( not in a band but for fun and youth) ccm I still have to agree on what you said Mrs A. Music should never be the focus on why you are in church. There is only one reason that is to glorify God. That also goes to the music you should listen and play. You said this in your post " music is very powerful" and it is. I heard people say that hymmns are for old school and the new stuff is for the newer generation but I think with out that balance of hymmns where would we be modern christian music mention by RW would get worse until noone can tell the diference between the world's and "christian" music
Well I feel better sorry for the rant

Sage said...

Of course everyone is practically bound to have diffrent opinions

Sage said...

but one thing I must ask... wouldn't "southern gospel" just be glorified "christian country"?